Raised sore bump on the knuckle since months post injury. How can I resolve this?

In late March, I accidentally tore skin off of my pointer finger knuckle while hanging pictures. It produced a decent sized skin flap across the knuckle but still attached on one side. I cleaned it, put neosporin on it and kept it wrapped in antibiotic bandaid. I regularly cleaned it and changed the dressing. I also used a larger bandaid to keep the finger stationary so bending it wouldn't reopen the wound or cause pain.

Two months later, I have this sore raised bump across my knuckle where the injury occurred. It's a little red but pretty much the same color as the rest of my finger. The wound is closed. The bump is smooth, unlined and feels like a semi-hard knot or cyst. It is sore most of the time but especially if it gets bumped, touched or I bend my finger. It has been sore ever since the injury, but it has been worse since the wound closed. Is it still healing? What is the problem with it? How can I treat the problem?
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 1 hour later
thanks for the query.

Please you must have posted the question twice. I have already replied to the first and below is the response.

thanks for the query.

Two months is quite a considerable time for healing to have occurred. On going healing will rather present with more of itchy sensation than pain.

Delayed healing is possible in the case of infection and the bump you have described could be a non collected abscess in formation.

If the bump is warmer together with pains and swelling it could more likely support the notion of a non collected abscess.

Neosporin is commonly used as a topical bactericidal agent but its effectiveness has been questionable as it is even alleged to be responsible for certain resistant infections with Staphylococcus.

However, present management if the abscess is confirm will include antibiotics that are sensitive to Staphylococcus such Cloxacillin, fluoxacillin, cefuroxime etc and if abscess eventually develops an incision and drainage will be needed with the antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query. If you do have more query, i will be ready to help.
Best regards"