Raised, red and itchy areas after laparoscopic gall bladder surgery. Tried OTC medication. Normal?

I had laproscopic gallbladder surgery a little over 2weeks ago and now I'm experiencing raised, red, ichy incision areas. I have tried OTC allergy meds but nothing is helping. is this normal? I'm 29, around 185lbs and have had only 2 other surgeries in my life both c-sections.
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 39 minutes later
Normally itching at tne incision site is indicative of healing.
It should not be scratched and one can apply ice pack on it to avoid the itching.
If itching persists or swelling increases then it could mean a local infection for which your treating surgeon should be contacted.

Please do write to me if there is any other query to be asked.
Best of luck.