RT testicular vein is retroperitoneal in abdomen. Is ct venography better than mri veonography?

Radiologist
Question
QUESTION FOR DR JIMMIE WONG MD RADIOLOGIST LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA....

1)RT testicular vein is retroperitoneal in abdomen.is it visible in its full length in abdomen from XXXXXXX inguinal ring level to its drainage site inferior vena cava on abdominal ultrasound?.....2)Rt testicular vein is visible on ct venography but it has 2 or 3 branches in inginal canal.can these 2 or 3 branches can be seen separately and clearly in the inguinal canal region on 64 slice or 128 slice 3D ct venography?...........3)veins with diameter of 0.5mm on 64 slice ct and veins with diameter of 0.3mm on 128 slice ct can bee seen.is it right or these values are for arteries?.....what is the smallest vein diameter that can be seen on 64slice ct?what is smallest vein diameter seen on128 slice ct?.............4)what is the smallest vein diameter that can be seen on 3 tesla mri venography?is ct venography better than mri veonography to see small veins?...........5)if a patient has mild to moderate pulmonary sarcoidosis but renal functions are normal.is it safe to have ct venography with iv contrast in that patient?...................6)can you send me images or videos showing testicular vein and its branches in the inguinal canal region on 3d ct venography to my e mail address or here?that will be a great help for me.thanks
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Joe Antony 3 days later

Sorry for a delayed reply. I was running extremely busy schedules for past week. I could not attend to you as promised. I will take your query by query and answer to be simple.

1)RT testicular vein is retroperitoneal in abdomen.is it visible in its full length in abdomen from XXXXXXX inguinal ring level to its drainage site inferior vena cava on abdominal ultrasound?.....

Answer- It is very difficult if not impossible to view the full extent of the testicular vein on ultrasound. We may even miss them when grossly enlarged.

2)Rt testicular vein is visible on ct venography but it has 2 or 3 branches in inginal canal.can these 2 or 3 branches can be seen separately and clearly in the inguinal canal region on 64 slice or 128 slice 3D ct venography?...........

Answer..It is difficult to see the normal testicular vein on CT scan, even with 128 slice machine...but if abnormally dilated ...this vein may be visible..its branches are not visualized...

3) veins with diameter of 0.5mm on 64 slice ct and veins with diameter of 0.3mm on 128 slice ct can bee seen.is it right or these values are for arteries?.....what is the smallest vein diameter that can be seen on 64slice ct?

Answer..The smallest vein that can be seen well on CT scan may be 1 mm...
veins smaller than that are difficult to see. The normal artery may be seen at up to 1mm on CT.

4) what is the smallest vein diameter that can be seen on 3 tesla mri venography?

Answer..about 1 mm veins may be seen on 3 tesla..or 128 slice CT

5) is ct venography better than mri veonography to see small veins?..

Answer: ...yes ct is better.

......6)if a patient has mild to moderate pulmonary sarcoidosis but renal functions are normal.is it safe to have ct venography with iv contrast in that patient?...................

Answer...yes it is safe

7)can you send me images or videos showing testicular vein and its branches in the inguinal canal region on 3d ct venography to my e mail address or here?that will be a great help for me.thanks

I work in a unit where the images / films cannot be shared because of confidentiality. I am sorry.

Dr. Joe XXXXXXX

Follow-up: RT testicular vein is retroperitoneal in abdomen. Is ct venography better than mri veonography? 5 hours later
thanks sir.that were great answers.sorry i forgot to mention in my first question that i am a doctor by profession too.i am working in general medicine.

1)ct venography is performed on multislice ct machines.is each and every mm of vein visible on ct venography i mean vein is visible in its full length or there are small gaps or intervals between slices?i read about ct settings parameters 0.5 mm intervals.what is that?are these slices are contineous or there are very small gaps between two adjacent slices?

Answered by Dr. Joe Antony 40 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

The multi slice computed tomography acquires volume sections. So there is no gap between sections.

Hope it clarifies your doubt. If you have any more queries, let me know.

All the best