Purple spots on arms. Cause and cure?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi, my sone have some purple spots on his arms. First two appeared 2 days ago around the curve on his elbows. Today he has 4 more purple spots near to his shoulders. Could you give me some advice please?
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 48 minutes later
Hi madam and welcome to XXXXXXX
I understand your concerns. I suppose you are talking about some kind of unexplained bruises? YOu didnt mention how big are those spots. But most commonly this isnt something serious especailly if he doesnt have any other symptoms. There is always possiblity that he got hit or had unnoticed contusion. Even small hits can cause bruisings in these areas.
Secondly, there can be some haematological disorder and most of them are benign. Usually there are some clotting factors or trombocytes abnormalities.Of course, some other more serious blood diseases should be ruled out but i wont mention them.
So I suggest to do basic blood tests including prothrombine time just to be sure everything is fine. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Follow-up: Purple spots on arms. Cause and cure? 10 minutes later
Hi, thank you very much for your answer. Is there any option to send you some pictures of the spots - they look quite symetric which could help you to have more clear idea what is really going on?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 21 minutes later
Of course, you can attach reports and photos,I dont know exactly where to click on it because I dont have the same "web site look" as you have,but you ll find it or ask administrator if you dont. I would like to see it. does he have any other symptoms such as fever, headache, paleness,weight loss, respiratory infection? Did you have similar symptoms in your familly?