Pulsation on scalp,twitching,numbness

i woke up straight out of bed two nights ago with a pulsating feeling on the right side of my scalp. ihave had little twitches before but nothing this large. the next few days it feels very sire in that area and almost a liitle numbing aroung that area. What could it be?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 24 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query.

I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding your problem.

There are a couple of possibilities in your case. One consideration would be an inflammation of one of the arteries in that area. We refer to this as temporal arteritis. This is relatively rare but still something we need to keep an eye out for.

If the throbbing pain continues for more than 48 hours from now, I would recommend you consult your physician.

Next, dehydration can create headaches like this. I recommend you make sure you are hydrated well with at least 64 ounces of water intake daily to see if this helps.

Otherwise it could be a typical headache and usually settles with non-steroidal Lack of sleep could also contribute to this phenomenon with the twitching.

I hope I have answered your query.

I look forward to hearing back from you with an update on your condition.

Dr. Galamaga