Ask a Dentist   »  

Protruding front tooth, traumatic. Crown recommended?

hi, my front tooth is badly protruding through causing trauma, I have previously had braces and don't want them again, I have enough space for it to be pushed back in as there is a large space between the tooth and the one beside it, is there any way to straighten it without braces? I also was told my one dentist that getting a crown would work but would weaken the tooth so because so much tooth has to be destroyed in 15 years once it comes off it cannot be replaced yet another dentist is willing to do it and has not mentioned the fact it can only be crowned once, any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later

I appreciate that you are dealing with a frustrating situation regarding your tooth and that braces are the last thing you want to go through again.

As far as a durable and relatively rapid fix for this situation, you could consider a dental implant. This would require actually pulling the tooth and then inserting a "post" which will anchor the new tooth. After the bone heals around the post and it is adequately fixed a dental specialist can then place a fresh implant which will fit anatomically quite well and help resolve the trauma you have been experiencing.

I would suggest you see an oral surgeon to discuss this option as they are the most skilled in this field. General dentists are good but an oral surgeon has trained for 4 years beyond dental school in complex surgical management of dental challenges.

I hope this reply has provided you with an adequate and informative answer to your query. Should you have additional concerns, I am available to address them.