Protected sex, taken Plan B, red spotting, swollen lymph node. STD?

I took plan b about 6 days ago and today after having protected sex (during which there was some pain as though his penis was hitting my cervix) I am having bright red spotting. Should I be worried? I also have a swollen lymph node in my neck is this a sign of an std?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query

I think the spotting can be because of Plan B. It is an Emergency Contraceptive pill and since it contains high doses of hormones breakthrough bleeding is a common side effect of the pill use.Some other effects are nausea,vomitting,delayed next period etc.It seems that you are exhibiting the effect of pill.The bleeding should subside in 3 or 4 days.

The second reason of spotting is denuded superficial layers of vaginal mucosa because of intercourse.

Both the above conditions are non worrisome, they subside on their own. If you have increased bleeding more than a pad per day, it warrants an examination by local doctor

The neck swelling which you have mentioned depends on various factors as since how long has been it present,consistency,is it increasing in size,pain associated symptoms etc.The most common cause is infection,cyst formation, skin rash, shaving too close or rarely cancerous tumours.

Most swollen lymph nodes if inflammed and infected subside in a week or so.
1)Apply ice pack 3 to 4 times in a day.
2)You can take pain killers as Ibuprofen,Advil and observe if the pain subsides.
3)Avoid smoking and alcohol as it may worsen the symptoms.

Examine yourself if there is any lump for its size,shape and consistency.If the
pain worsens or there is any lump which is hard and increases in size and growth consider visiting a Physician for evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up if any.