Prostate cancer surgery done. I am diabetic. Experiencing nipples itching and frequent urination. What to do?

Hello Doctor, thank you for taking my questions, I've been diabetic for the last 12 years, I've been experiencing a nipples itching and pain for the past year come and go. My local doctor check no lumps.
I was using metformin 500 mg for the past 10 years, two months ago I consulted another doctor in France who told that I was very skinny to used metformin therefore he had me change to Diamicron. I used diamicron 30mg one a day for two weeks,I had severals reactions like frequent urination and others therefore I went back to my original metformin. I had a prostate cancer surgery three years ago at johns XXXXXXX hospital
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. L K Shankdhar 12 hours later
Dear friend,

I have gone through the text you have sent but found no direct question/query in it but I presume that you want to know, whether you should carry on with Metformin or change it to some other oral anti-diabetic drug in view of the fact that you are a thin person and Metformin is known to reduce weight.

This is a very old concept. Now, Metformin is the first drug for patients of diabetes, irrespective of weight. I will suggest you to continue with Metformin and keep an eye on your weight. Not all patients lose weight while on Metformin. In case you lose weight then some other drug might be suggested.

Please do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

With best wishes for health.

Prof. LK Shankhdhar
Follow-up: Prostate cancer surgery done. I am diabetic. Experiencing nipples itching and frequent urination. What to do? 37 minutes later
I told you that I've been having frequent urination, as well as having nipples tenderness and pain that was my main questions I just inform you about my history of medications.
Answered by Dr. L K Shankdhar 5 hours later

Mostly, itching in any part is due to some local skin problem, which needs to be examined by some dermatologist. Itching leads to some scratching and end result is local infection, what we call CELLULITIS and this condition is characterized by pain and tenderness.

Presently, you need antibiotic therapy as per advice of your local family physician.

As far as your problem of urination is concerned, first focus on your sugar control as frequent urination is common with uncontrolled diabetes. If it persists even after good control, then you must consult a Nephrologist/Urologist.

Hope this helps.

Please do write back for if you have more queries.

Prof. LK Shankhdhar