Problem with breathing from left nostril. Recommended septoplasty for treatment. Is it safe ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
hello..i have bit problem in breathing from my left nostril..it is from past few years..doctor has recommended septoplasty surgery for treatment...please tell me about septoplasty and whether i should take risk of surgery..my age is 25..tell me the complications that can arise from the surgery..IS IT SAFE? WILL MY NOSE SHAPE GET AFFECTED AFTER SURGERY?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 12 minutes later
Hi there.

I have read and understood your problem.

It appears that you have a deviated nasal septum which is the cause for the breathing problem. The thin bone in the middle of the nose is deviated to one side which makes it difficult for air to move through easily.

Septoplasty surgery only removes the defective thin bone from the large bone and makes it straight so that air can comfortably flow through the nose.

There will be little risk of some bleeding, infection which is common to any surgery. The shape of your nose will remain the same as the surgery is going to be done inside your nose. You will not experience pain during the surgery as it will be done under anesthesia.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Problem with breathing from left nostril. Recommended septoplasty for treatment. Is it safe ? 13 hours later
thanx for such prompt reply doctor..

Actually my mother also had the same problem and was operated many years ago..eventually her bone grew again..so i am skeptical that whether after the surgery the bone will grow again or not..

can you please also tell me the recovery time as i have very hectic schedule and cant take off for more than 3-4 days.

and if possible please suggest good surgeons in chandigarh ?

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

The part of bone removed automatically gets filled up by strong tissue so there will be no change in the outer nose structure.

Usually after this surgery one may require 4-5 days of inpatient care after which you may be discharged without any complications.

It would be best to consult with PGI Hospital, Chandigarh where quality of care is best as it is teaching hospital. You will be treated with one of the best doctors in India.

Follow-up: Problem with breathing from left nostril. Recommended septoplasty for treatment. Is it safe ? 2 hours later
u did not answer my query regarding whether the bone will regrow again later after the operation if the surgery is not done properly?

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 7 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.

During septoplasty, a small piece of bone and cartilage are removed. This space is then occupied by fibrous tissue. Even though it is extremely unlikely that the bone grows back, the cartilage can grow back ( in an extremely small number of cases) and cause re-obstruction of the nasal cavity. This can then be addressed by both medication and surgery.

However, I must also let you know that there is no procedure that is devoid of complications. Septoplasty is a safe procedure if performed by an experienced surgeon. I would suggest that you get it done if your symptoms are affecting your quality of life.

I hope I have addressed your concerns.
I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Regards.