Pressure and ringing sensation in left ear. Had grommit put in to relieve pressure, loss of hearing has occurred. How can I rectify this?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have had a grommit put in my left ear 10 days ago to try and relieve built up pressure and ringing in that ear, my specialist told me there was no sign of any fluids, since the insertion of the gromiit the pressure has increased significantly and my hearing in the left ear has decreased significantly. I am not due to see my specilalist for another week the pressure is quite debilatating.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Grommet or ventilating tube is a small device inserted into the ear drum for the purpose of ventilating the middle ear in individuals with presence of middle ear fluid and in Meniere's disease.

It is not unusual to notice increased middle ear pressure and tinnitus (ringing sensation) in the ear, in hypertensive individuals. In hypertensive individuals there will be some amount of congestion around the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear) opening which in turn increases the pressure in the middle ear and the tinnitus could be either due to the raised middle ear pressure or reduced blood supply to the endolymphatic organs in the inner ear.

I do not understand the reason behind grommet insertion in your situation. At present, the development of pressure inside your ear could be due to blockage of the ventilating tube with blood clots.

So, the best remedy is to do steam inhalation 2-3 times a day and use steroid nasal spray to relieve the Eustachian tube congestion. You can also try the medicines containing Ginkobiloba (a Chinese herb) for relief from tinnitus. If nothing is working for you, request your doctor for the removal of the grommet.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Pressure and ringing sensation in left ear. Had grommit put in to relieve pressure, loss of hearing has occurred. How can I rectify this? 1 hour later
I thought the grommet might be getting blocked would the blood colts still be a possible anwer if when I pinch my nose and blow hard it feels like the tube is allowing air through or at least it sounds like it but within a couple of seconds of doing this and getting some mild short relief the pressure returns very quickly. Does this make sense?

Hi

Thanks for writing back

Q: when I pinch my nose and blow hard it feels like the tube is allowing air through or at least it sounds like it

A: I feel, this could be either because of opening of the Eustachian tube which gives the sensation of pressure relief or there could be a possibility of blood clot in the grommet which could be acting like a valve letting air on increased pressure in the middle ear and collapsing back after the pressure is relieved. This can be confirmed only after performing a microscopic examination of the ear.

Hope you are convinced with this answer. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon