Prescribed zomelis 50 mg, vingose 0.3 mg for increased protein level in urine. Does these medicine affect sugar level?

I was taking gemer p2 and gluformin xl 500 for past 5 years.But from few months the protein level in urine increased. so my dr. Asked me to change my medicine . He prescribed zomelis 50 mg,vingose 0.3 mg but these didnt effect my sugar level,so he added eurepa 2 mg in prescription.My dr. Said that the earlier medicine effected my kidneys.But earlier the sugar level was between 250-300 , but now it is not under control , ranging from 400-500.The new medicines are not effecting my sugar level.please suggest me as to what i should do because i am really concerned about my diabetes problem.Please reply at the earliest.
Posted Wed, 10 Oct 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 40 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Gemerp2and gluformin are fairly strong medicines to control diabetes. It's apparent that the glucose was not under control. Your doctor was right in trying a different regime.

The choice of drugs suggests that you may have developed some renal impairment. This is most likely not due to medication, it's because of longer duration of diabetes which was poorly controlled and high blood pressure.

In this situation it will be ideal to start insulin and stop the multiple oral drugs. Please write back attaching all your recent reports I can help you better then. You will benefit from a higher dose of Telma. Discuss about these with your treating doctor.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Follow-up: Prescribed zomelis 50 mg, vingose 0.3 mg for increased protein level in urine. Does these medicine affect sugar level? 2 hours later
Ok. Thanks for the help but should i continue with gemer p2 and gluformin?
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 19 hours later
Let me clarify- please consult your doctor regarding possible initiation of Insulin. I suspect that he/she might have discontinued the metformin and glimepiride because of kidney problems. If you do have a kidney problem then the suitable medicines will be insulin and zomelis(in reduced dose).

Anantharaman R