Prescribed with atrovent inhaler and duoneb. Should I take both medications?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I was prescribed an atrovent inhaler to be taken every 6 hours; and also duoneb 4 times a day. since both have atrovent, should I be taking both meds? Thanks, XXXX
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Yes,both have ipratropium,but atrovent usually consists 0.25mg of ipratropium and duoneb 0.5mg ipratropium + albuterol.
So the dosage depends on how severe COPD is. Combination of these is not unusual if there is severe COPD with frequent copd exacerbations. In such cases doctors want to increase dosage of ipratropium so they combine 0.25mg atrovent and duoneb.
If this is mild COPD (FEV1≥ 80%) and medications are used only for prevention of possible exacerbations then duoneb is enough and I dont see why atrovent should be used. If there is fear of non-efficiency then it would be smarter to increase duoneb to 6 a day(which is maxiumum) without using atrovent.
All in all, hyperdosage wont happen if you use these 2 as recommended so you dont have to be worried,but if you notice side effects you can reduce dosage or stop atrovent.
Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards