Prescribed metoroprol tartrate for AF. Could this be cause for weight gain and fogginess?

Hi there, I am prescribed metoroprol tartrate for AF ( occasional bouts which have reverted to normal rhythm naturally) Could this drug be causing weight gain and 'fogginess' - like living in a bit of a cloud?
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes, this may be possible.

Detailed Answer:
Respected Ma'm
1. Weight gain can occur with metoprolol. In fact all beta blockers (class of drugs to which metoprolol belong) are known to cause weight gain. The exact mechanism is not known but probably they decrease the rate of energy consumption in body.
2. Metoprolol, being lipid soluble, can cross blood-brain barrier and has central nervous system effects too. These mainly include depression and insomnia but may also cause confusion, short term memory loss, night mares and rarely hallucinations.
3. I would recommend you to consult your physician and discuss your problem. If he also agrees that metoprolol is the cause of your symptoms, there are more alternatives available like calcium channel blockers etc.
Hope this helps.
Feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Prescribed metoroprol tartrate for AF. Could this be cause for weight gain and fogginess? 13 minutes later
Thank you for your response. Are there any safe diet / weight loss supplements I can use if I remain on Metoprolol? I do exercise daily - walking briskly, but cannot do rigorous exercise due to the drug. This exercise, together with a healthy balanced diet is not keeping the weight off - I am 172 cm and 83 Kg. Ideally I would like to drop 10 kg which was my weight before commencing on the medication 5 years ago. Kind regards
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No supplements, get a Diet plan.

Detailed Answer:
Respected Ma'm
1 . Neither the literature supports it nor I am a proponent of using medicines or supplements for weight loss. I would recommend daily exercise (after clearance from your cardiologist) and adherence to a weight losing diet. You can consult a dietitian and obtained a "weight losing" diet chart. This will have calories lesser than what you require and more of fibrous stuff. In general you should avoid fried things, sweets and foods with high glycemic index.
2. Yes, you are correct beta blockers are known to be associated with easy muscle fatiguability in some individuals. In fact they make you more prone to diabetes too.
In nutshell, you must consult your physician for discussing a change in drug and a dietitian for a diet plan.
Hope this gives more insight. Feel free to discuss further.