Prescribed anti-inflammatory and brace for sprained wrist. Why is it getting sore? Why does tendon feel tight?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I sprained my wrist over 3 months ago. I didn't see a doctor until 6 weeks later at which time he prescribed an anti-inflamitory and gave me a brace. My wrist is much better than when it first happened , but doesn't seem to be improving anymore. Part of me thinks it needs to be stretched and used. When i do this it gets sore (especially in the top of the hand) and the tendon that was damaged feels a little tight. The doctor said he's giving me a cortizone shot and a hard cast in 3 weeks if it's not better. is stretching and using it and trying to work through the pain (soreness) a bad idea?
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
A tendon injury needs proper rest for healing. The best way to provide rest for proper healing is a cast. If you keep on working with the wrist in spite of pain, the healing will be further delayed and fibrosis may occur leading to a long term pain in the wrist joint.
The tendon injury sometimes takes months to recover if treated conservatively. Using a brace is necessary for rest. Do try to provide adequate rest and hot fomentation to the area for an early healing.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Prescribed anti-inflammatory and brace for sprained wrist. Why is it getting sore? Why does tendon feel tight? 5 hours later
14 weeks doesn't seem too long for a sprain? At some point after wearing the brace and I'm healed will there be tightness in the wrist? Will I take off the brace and feel normal or will I have tightness and soreness even though I'm healed?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Sprain or tendon injuries sometimes take longer than usual to heal in the absence of adequate rest and immobilization.
Once the sprain is healed and after you remove the brace, some wrist stiffness might persist for few days which wears off once you start using the wrist joint normally. Hot fomentation and few exercises will help in early restoration of painless movements.
In case the injury is taking extra time to heal, you can get an MRI of the wrist joint done to find out the extent of soft tissue injuries you have suffered.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.