Prescribed Sulfameth and Trimeth DS. Allergic to amoxicillan, clyndamycin and erythromycin. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
I was just prescribed Sulfameth/Trimeth DS. I am allergic to Amoxicillan, Metronidozle, Clyndamycin, and erythromycin. I am "scared" to take this medication as I have read that it is a sulfonamide and so is erythromycin. What antibiotic can I take that won't kill me??
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 52 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The antibiotics that you are sensitive to are from different groups of antibiotics: a. Amoxicillin is a penicillin or beta lactam group antibiotic.
b. Metronidazole is an imidazole group antibiotic.
c. Clindamycin is a lincosamide group antibiotic.
d. Erythromycin is a macrolide group antibiotic.

2. Cotrimoxazole (sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim) is a sulfonamide group antibiotic.

3. Cross sensitivity may occur across some groups , however, allergy to so many groups of antibiotics is rare. Macrolides (Erythromycin) are not related to the penicillin group and it is intriguing that you have allergy to both penicillin and macrolides.

4. Tetracyclines (including Doxycycline), quinolones (such as Ciprofloxacin, Levofloxacin, Ofloxacin, Norfloxacin), aminoglycosides (such as Gentamicin, Amikacin) and glycopeptides (such as Vancomycin) are all unrelated to penicillins and should be safe. Sometimes Cephalosporins (though related to penicillin) may work.

5. Depending upon the indication for the antibiotics and weighing the risks of an antibiotic reaction (especially anaphylaxis), your doctors may try the suggested antibiotic groups.

6. SOme times the allergy may be to the other ingredients such as binders, fillers, coatings, preservatives, coloring agents and so on.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.