Prescribed Indocap for lower back pain. Consumed alcohol. Stopped medication. What to do?

Indocap has been prescribed for lower back pain that prevailed for 2 months after an mri scan that was normal. Patient consumed alcohol on the second day of the medicine and discontinued, as the specialist did not mention alcohol to not be consumed, we just noticed and stopped the medication. What should be the course of action now?
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I am happy you recognize the fact, which is scientifically and medically sound, of the possible interaction that could possibly arise due consumption of Indocap, a non steroidal anti inflammatory drug and alcohol.

Its good already that the MRI scan was normal. If the patient was symptomatic, it would be necessary to put back the patient on his medication. The effect of alcohol after 6 hours is no longer very significant in the metabolism of Indocap.

I suggest you put him back on the medication as prescribed by the physician, same doses, but he should avoid alcohol this time around. The drug should be taken for the prescribed duration of time and he revisits his physician for reevaluation to ascertain response to treatment. It advisable not to stay hungry while taking the drug or an empty stomach, for non steroidal gastrointestinal bleeding and gastritis if not taken appropriately. He should therefore eat well.

Thanks and hope this helps. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be as I wish him good health.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.