Prescribed Azithromycin for acne. Is it correct? Will it affect kidney?

Question
I have been prescribed azithromycin 250 Mg (Azee 200 Mg) tablets by my dermatologist once daily during bedtime for 3 months to treat my acne. I would like to know is it correct? Can I take the antibiotic for 3 months daily? would it effet my Kidney? pl let me know.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Acne

Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You have been prescribed Azithromycin 250 mg once a day for treatment of acne.
Long duration antibiotic (about 3 months) is usually suggested in the treatment of acne and this is the right treatment.

Azithromycin has a lot of advantages over other antibiotics and in contrast to other anti acne medications azithromycin causes fewer gastro enteric side effects and has no major interactions with other drugs. The latest studies confirm that it is quite harmless and efficacious antibiotic with good compliance and minimum side effects. Clinical studies have shown that it can produce positive results within 8 weeks of therapy in more than 88 percent of acne sufferers.

The side effects which are minimal can include diarrhea or loose stools; headache; mild stomach pain; nausea; upset stomach; vomiting. It will not affect your kidney. So as suggested you may continue the antibiotic daily for 3 months.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Should you have any more concerns, I am available to address them.

Follow-up: Prescribed Azithromycin for acne. Is it correct? Will it affect kidney? 29 minutes later
As I have mentioned already in my medication I am also taking isoproin -20 by cipla contains isoprelinoin USP 20 mg for acne . If I go through the accompanied booklet inside the medicine packet- it enlist a lot of complications and side effects. My question is can I take this safely with Azithromycin 250 mg. I have appear for my CAT exam this year. Would it effect me in any way

Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up.

Do you mean Isotretinoin? Isotretinoin is one of the potent acne controlling drug used in the treatment of severe nodular acne where conventional therapy have failed.

As you would have read, this is associated with some side effects such as alopecia, fragile and weaker skin, vision problems, conjunctivitis (pink eye), nosebleeds, photo sensitivity (sensitivity to light), elevated triglycerides in the blood, elevated liver enzymes and so on. However the safety and tolerance of the drug do vary a lot among different individuals. The effects produced by it again vary among different individuals. That being said, most individuals tolerate this drug well and have been continuing with it.
Hence I suggest you to continue with the medications suggested to you. Review with your prescribing doctor if you find any reactions with them. Most often, these reactions subside upon stopping the pill.

As far as interaction of azithromycin and isotretinoin is concerned, there are no significant ones and you may take both the medications as suggested.

The bottom line is you may consider using both the medication as suggested.

Hope I have given you a satisfactory response to your query.. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Should you have any more concerns, I am available to address them.

Follow-up: Prescribed Azithromycin for acne. Is it correct? Will it affect kidney? 2 days later

Good morning;
2 days I was out of Station and could not access my XXXXXXX I have a question.

By any reason if I discontinue midway of the course any of the tablet
soproin -20 by cipla contains isoprelinoin USP 20 mg
azee 250 by cipla contains azithromycin 250 mg

due to some reason; say after One month What would be the consequences.
Also as I mentioned in my 2nd question I have to appear for all important CAT exam for my MBA admission. Would it any way effect my concentration.

Thanks and warm rgds

Answered by Dr. Radhika 22 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

If you discontinue the treatment after a month, there are chances of recurrence and you might have to take the whole course once again. There are no studies or research showing concentration being affected due to Azithromycin or Isotretinoin.

So as suggested you may continue the medication daily for 3 months.