Prescribed Aromox, Ensoflame, Olycoff for throat infection. Any side effects?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi Doc, aromox cv 625 does it have any side effects, its been prescribed for a severe throat infection along with ensoflame and a syrup olycoff A
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 45 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Aromox CV 625 is a combination of amoxicillin (500 mg) and clavulanic acid (125 mg). It is a broad spectrum antibiotic.

2. It is a safe and widely used antibiotic. It is usually well tolerated.

3. Common side effects are skin rashes, loose motions and stomach upsets. It is a penicillin based antibiotic and hence patients with penicillin allergy may develop symptoms.

4. If the above symptoms occur, you should discontinue it and see your doctor again. Continued use during loose motions leads to antibiotic associated diarrhea which may lead to pseudomembranous colitis.

5. The loose motions are usually self limiting and discontinuing the medication is all that is usually required. A probiotic such as Vibact, Beclac or Providac is recommended to reduce the incidence of this common side effect.

6. I am discussing this in detail since you have a weak digestive system.

7. Ask your doctor to add an anti-allergic tablet since your throat infections tend to occur when seasons change.

8. A medicated mouthwash such as Betadine may help.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Prescribed Aromox, Ensoflame, Olycoff for throat infection. Any side effects? 17 minutes later
throat is highly irritable and painful, cant have any solid foods as swallowing is not possible even speech is difficult. should one go in for any deeper investigations?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 20 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. If you have no improvement or if you have worsening of symptoms after 48 hours of medication, then you should get your throat examined again.

2. Do you have fever?

3. If the change in voice is not improving, a Videolaryngoscopy may help.

4. A throat swab for bacterial culture and antibiotic sensitivity along with routine blood investigations will be useful if the medication is not working.

5. Do you have any recent history of travel?

Regards.