Premature baby. Not eating well. Vomiting after eating. Breasting feeding. What to do?

Question
Hi, My 13 Months female baby. her weight is 7.8kgs. at the time of birth weight is 1.7kgs. ( premature baby at 7 months )now my babys no eating well. if we push to eat, immediately vomiting. Continuous afternoon time vomit wil happen. doctor give a medicine & tonic. it will give before food after food. Still, mother feeding is going on. but baby actively playing.. Pl let me know this weight is expected weight? Pl advice me th healthy food chart for baby.
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 38 hours later

Your baby at this age should be around 10 kgs, though less I would say there is no need to worry as it is a fast growing period. she will gain weight if the problem she has is treated.

Vomiting in children of such age could be mainly due to one of the below reasons

Gastric infections,
Improper feeding
Structural defects (lower esophageal sphincter (LES) stenosis)

I would like to know some more details on her problem to narrow down the cause and advice specific management.

Since when does she have vomiting?
Is there any specific color in the vomitus?
Does she have fever?
Does she have loose stools?

Waiting for your response,

Follow-up: Premature baby. Not eating well. Vomiting after eating. Breasting feeding. What to do? 7 hours later
Vomiting, last 3 - 4 weeks starts, there is no specific colour. what they eat, same will coming out. No fever. actively playng. She starts walking from last 1 week. Now, for morning breakfast we give ragimilk, at 11 am biscuits at 2pm veg rice or egg mixing, at 4pm fruits juice any one, at 7.30pm, idly or dosa. additionally milk we are giving.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 11 hours later

Thanks for the information.

The vomiting in your child could probably be secondary to structural defects.

Absence of fever and loose stools rules out infective cause. Hence, I suggest you to consult a pediatrician who may order for an endoscopy which would determine the exact cause of such emesis.

Identifying the cause would help to treat the condition better without any complications.

Hope, I answered your query.

Follow-up: Premature baby. Not eating well. Vomiting after eating. Breasting feeding. What to do? 8 hours later
Thank u Sir. Can u please give me nutrious food chart for my baby.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 38 hours later
Hi again,

Do follow the below link, in here you can consult a dietitian for a better and well formulated diet chart for your baby.

WWW.WWWW.WW

Wish you good health.