Pregnant,iron supplements,dark green stool

Hello Doctor,
My wife is 10 weeks pregnant,about 4 days of taking irons wife's motion it dark XXXXXXX 4 days until now,what is this mean! And she throw up almost every night,I'm so worry. This is our first baby.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 23 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

First of all you need to relax as it does not seem to be anything serious.

It is common to have black or XXXXXXX motions after taking iron supplements or foods XXXXXXX in iron.It occurs because body does not absorb all the iron and thus it passes in stools.

It is also associated with side effects as nausea,vomitting,constipation,diarrhoea.

Some measures:
1)Take the iron tablet with a glass of water or juice.It is better if taken between meals as absorption is better then.
2)Avoid taking it with milk and antacid as it may again prevent absorption and also cause nausea.
3)Avoid taking iron during evening hours and bedtime as it would upset the stomach.
4)Keep a gap of at least 2 hours before taking any medicine with iron even any supplements.
5)Vitamin C tablet is usually provided with iron for better absorption.You can have it after discussing it with your Health Care provider.Have grapejuice,orange juice etc.
6)It can cause constipation so have high fibre diet as oats,pulses,cereals,raw salads to have proper motions.
6)Go for a walk daily for half an hour.

Hope this answers your query.I am available for follow ups.
Follow-up: Pregnant,iron supplements,dark green stool 2 hours later
Thank you for your answer,
I also have other question. As my wife is a 10 week of pregnant. She have a hard time of sleeping,every time she turn to the left try to sleep. She gets pain on the left of the stomach. But on the right side she can pain at all.what is this effect from?

2. at what week is the pregnant are in the save condition?I mean,when can she feel safe to go up and down using the stair.?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 14 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up

Abdominal pain during pregnancy is quite common due to stretching of the various ligaments and hormonal changes in the body till the pain is mild and bearable.

If it is very intense and associated with any other symptoms as vaginal discharge,spotting,bleeding etc then it requires immediate attention.

Usually it is advised to lie down in the side ways position only during pregnancy.

Regarding the using of stairs if she is not advised bed rest by her treating doctor she can use them and even go for a walk daily.

It is good both for the baby and mother.She just has to avoid any heavy weight lifting and unnecessary bending.

Have healthy diet,avoid smoking,alcohol and any stress.

Wishing you a healthy baby!