Pregnant, vaginal infection. On medication ornidazole, azithromycin, clingen suppositories. Safe to take?

My wife is in her 32nd week of pregnancy and unfortunately has contracted a fungal infection in her vagina which has been around for a week. Initially she was prescribed Ornidazole and Azithromycin. These helped but didnt eliminate the Fungal Infection Completely. Subsequently, She was prescribed Clingen Vaginal Suppositories to be kept in the vagina once a day every day before sleeping. She has a lot of discomfort - burning in her vagina today after keeping it. Please advise if we should stop using it immediately - remove it or it is normal to have this burning sensation.

Also, If she needs to stop this, what would be the safest way to cure the Fungal Infection such that the cure does not harm the Fetus.

And How big a threat is the Fungal Infection to her Uterus/Fetus ?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 16 hours later

I would recommend that your wife stops using the vaginal tablets if they are causing burning. It can be switched to another antifungal vaginal tablet, if she is allergic to Clingen. You need to consult your obstetrician regarding this.

At 32 weeks of pregnancy, she can also use an oral antifungal drug like Fluconazole or Terbinafine which can be obtained on prescription from your treating physician.

Fungal vaginal infections, if left untreated, can sometimes lead to preterm delivery (delivery before due date). As such, the baby is not affected but may acquire a fungal infection during vaginal delivery. Thus, it is important to treat vaginal infections before delivery.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept the answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Pregnant, vaginal infection. On medication ornidazole, azithromycin, clingen suppositories. Safe to take? 16 hours later

Thanks for your answer. I have a couple of more questions :

1) What happens if she just keeps applying the Ointment she is already applying - Sufaz SN, though she is only able to apply it on external areas and not within the vagina and does not consume the Oral Anti Fungals ? Just asking this out of concern for the Baby ? Is it okay for the baby if the Delivery - In Case it is preterm happens anytime after 34 weeks ?

2) Her Gynae has told her that she would be able to operate upon the 11 cms Subserrous Fibroid and remove it alongwith a C-Section during the delivery ? I have read that these surgeries are XXXXXXX How safe is it to remove the Fibroid alongwith the C Section ? Would the outcome be affected in any way because of the Fungal Infection ?

Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 36 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

1) Surfaz-sn is not for vaginal infection. It is for external infection. Regarding delivery, the ideal time for baby is after 37 weeks.
2) Removal of fibroid during c-sect is not safe. However if exceesive bleeding occurs due to fibroids it become necessary to remove them.
I have already mentioned, effect of fungal infection can be preterm delivery sometimes.

Wish you good health.