Pregnant, torch test showed reactive rubella-IgG. What does it mean?

I have done a torch test and rubella-IgG(Serum/CMIA) is REACTIVE(352.1) I am now 5 -6 weeks pregnant what is this means is anything to worry I am confused and upset please clarify
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
IgG antibody indicates past infection only.

Detailed Answer:

Presence of IgG antibody in the TORCH test indicates exposure to the infectious agent in the past. It could be due to vaccination as well. A repeat test after two weeks will be able to tell whether the titres are rising or falling. A rising titre indicates recent infection and special care should be taken. With a declining titre, nothing needs to be done.

Infection with Rubella during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy is extremely harmful to the fetus. This can be diagnosed by a positive IgM antibody. Since it is not seen, you need not worry.

Please follow your consultant's instructions strictly and get repeat sonograms as follow up of the baby's well-being.

Hope your query is answered. Please contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Pregnant, torch test showed reactive rubella-IgG. What does it mean? 8 hours later
thank you for answering at a early time but I have one more query regarding this , I have taken this same test before in 2011 but the result was RUBELLA IgG ANTIBODIES -- 5.53, But now when I took the test, result reads like Rubella-IgG(serum/CMIA)-- Reactive (352.1), why is this difference please clarify
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A possible re-infection or vaccination.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

There are a few points to be considered regarding your doubt.
-firstly, there is a lab to lab variation in reporting.
-there is a possibility of re-infection during the period, but, absence of IgM indicates that the infection was not so recent.
-vaccination can also raise the antibody levels.

As you have not shown to have IgM antibodies, the immunity acquired either through exposure or vaccination is permanent and this makes you immune to the infection in future. You should repeat the titres in 2-3 weeks to see if the titres are rising and if it is so, you should suspect somewhat recent infection. As mentioned earlier, presence of IgM antibodies only warrants termination of pregnancy in early stages. Otherwise, there is no reason to worry.

Hope I have clarified your doubt. Please get back for more queries. I will be ready to help.