Pregnant, overweight, have swelling on arm. Doppler ultrasound normal. Any suggestion?

Hello im 9 weeks pregnant and for the last week ive had a swollen left arm. Im 28 and overweight, Ive been to a doctor and had a dopler ultrasound which has now come back clear - so no bloodclots but had no other suggestions as to what it may be. I'm quote worried, could you please suggest what step to take next?
I have an obstetritian appointment in 2 weeks.
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

The first thing that one might think about with the swelling in an extremity is a blood clot. I am glad that you had the ultrasound done to rule that out.

The other thought is that patients are often told to sleep on their left side when they are pregnant. This results in a lot of complaints of upper extremity numbness, tingling, and swelling. While you should not lie flat on your back during pregnancy, you do not need to be all the way on your left side - just a tilt of the pelvis is adequate. So if you have changed sleep positions significantly, this might give some clue as to what is going on.

Otherwise this is a confusing report. If the swelling cannot be explained, is painless, and not getting worse, then in someon like you I might just suggest watching it and seeing how it evolves over time. If this were a symptomatic or worsening issue, then a consult with a cardiologist to better image the heart and outflow tracts would be appropriate.

I hope that this helps and good luck!