Pregnant, on metformin for PCOS. Is it safe to continue with the medication?

Infertility Specialist
Question
I had an iui and ive been on metformin for pcos. Is it ok to continue this medication? Im worried about it hurting the fetus if i end up being pregnant. I keep trying to reach my dr to ask him but he hasnt been returning my phone calls.
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
no problem

Detailed Answer:
Hi, metformin is safe drug. You can continue it even if you become pregnancy. It does not have effects. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Pregnant, on metformin for PCOS. Is it safe to continue with the medication? 22 hours later
Im on progesterone 200 mg tid after i had an iui. Ive been extremely dizzy. To the point that i have been loosing balance and coordination. It comes and goes. Is this a side effect

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
reduce dose

Detailed Answer:
Hi, some women do feel like this with progesterone. Youcan take twice a day instead of thrice. If too uncomfortable, change to other oral progesterone medicines. Regards

Follow-up: Pregnant, on metformin for PCOS. Is it safe to continue with the medication? 3 days later
Im 8 days past my iui and i have been waking up the past 2 days with left ovarian pain. Its not excruciating it just feels like a balloon is blowing up inside of me. It goes away after a few minutes but i feel it when i cough or put pressure on my pelvis. Ive never had this pain b

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
dont worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, the pain could be due to enlarged ovary during ovarian stimulation. It will slowly come down and is not harmful. Relax and don't worry about it. Regards

Follow-up: Pregnant, on metformin for PCOS. Is it safe to continue with the medication? 17 hours later
I had my iui on monday 10-14-13. My husbands sperm count and motility were perfeft according to my RE. I am 25 he is 29. We are very healthy but i hve polycystic ovaries I took a pregnancy test today 10-23-13 and it was negative. I do not frel pregnant at all. Im wondering if i tested too early or if this means i am for sure not pregnant. Also, when should i anticipate a period if i am not pregnant. .

Brief Answer:
takes time

Detailed Answer:
Hi, if IUI is done on 14th, wait for 17 days after IUI to get urine pregnancy test positive. You do it on 30th. If you want earlier results, do serum beta hCG on 27th. If negative wait for a week after that when you will get cycles. Regards

Follow-up: Pregnant, on metformin for PCOS. Is it safe to continue with the medication? 32 hours later
Another question. About 9 days after my iui i started having bad cramps after experiencing an orgasm. The pain feels like menstrual cramps but much worse. It subsides after a few minutes but i was wondering why this is happening .

Brief Answer:
temporary

Detailed Answer:

The pain could possibly due to few follicles rupturing who are ovulating later or a temporary gut or indigestion related problem.

Ok so heres an update. I am 13 days past ovulation today my dr had me come in for a beta hcg. It was 1.1. He said to have another one done in 2 days to see if it is higher because i have a longer cycle and he said a beta would be more acurate if it is taken closer to my missed period which would be in another week. What are your thoughts on this .

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
negative

Detailed Answer:
Hi, your doctor is right. You need to test it again to confirm. But as of now the reading looks negative for pregnancy. There is high chances of negative this cycle. You might get same report after 2 days. Regards