Pregnant, lower abdominal pain, cramps after eating, runny stools

hi im 16 weeks pregnant and am having lower abdominal cramping mostly after i eat makes me feel like i have to poop but i cant when i try,a couple of days before i had horrible cramping and runny poop also.
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 minutes later
The lower abdomen cramps that you are having after eating are likely to be intestinal colics.
This is commonly seen during pregnancy and can be related to a mild intestinal infection. It can be related to irritable bowel too.
1. You can start by eating soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, baked chicken ~ no skin, etc.
2.Have plenty of fluid and salts:Take broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables.
3.Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm tea or water as long as symptoms persist, Raw fruits and vegetables, fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food, caffeine,etc.
If the symptoms are not relieved , medical treatment might be needed after proper examination.
Taking prebiotics may be helpful in restoring the gut flora to normal.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.