Pregnant and positive for chlamydia and ureaplasma. Do not wish to risk antibodies. What can be done?

Tested positive for Chlamydia and Ureaplasma

Hi, my girlfriend is pregnant (16 weeks) and back in August she was tested positive for Chlamydia and Ureaplasma - Chlamydia was found in vaginal secretions, but not in blood, Ureaplasma was tested for only vaginal. The tests were repeated in September and October with almost similar results. Furthermore, I was tested negative on two different occasions. We suspected that it is only antibodies showing up in the results, but nobody could give us a confident answer. We don't want to risk taking any antibiotics unless it is really necessary, so we're trying to find out exactly what these results mean. I have the test results saved in pdf format, and I can email them to you. Thank you for your help.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 4 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your health concern. First of all, Congratulations on your girlfriends' Pregnancy.

I understand from your history that Chlamydia and Ureaplasma were both found on vaginal secretions but not in blood. So, it means to say that it is a localized infection and not a systemic infection.

'The tests showed similar results in September and also October', means to say that both the infections were still present then.

It is very fortunate that you have tested negative on two occasions.

I agree with you that it may be antibodies on the results. However, it would help me to a great extent if I may actually view the test results and then comment on whether it is antigen or antibody study. So, please do not mind to type the entire test report in detail here.

I would suggest you to wait until a confirmed diagnosis is made and then you may consider taking antibiotics under the supervision of the Obstetrician.

Awaiting your response.