Pregnant and had isoimune thrombocytopenia when born. Will it pass to her baby and risks pregnancy?

When my daughter was born it was discovered she had isoimune thrombocytopenia. My daughter just advised me she is 16 weeks along and wants to tell her OB/GYN what her condition was at birth, and if she will need to take the same precautions for a high risk pregnancy. My records were destroyed, my Sister also has the same issue, but her children were born fine since she and her husband had matching antibodies. My sister is out of town, and her last child was born 20 years agol. Thank you
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She need to be tested for the "antiD"& Rh

Detailed Answer:

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to address your concerns.

She need to tell her OBGYN even she is 16 weeks pregnant. The antibodies titer needs to be checked. If in case her, baby and her antibodies mis match it may cause an issues.

Its not an urgent need so please don't panic, just ask her to mentioned it to her OBGYN in couple of weeks.

They will check for the antibodies in blood and will figure out if they need to have some changes in last trimester that is from 7th to 9th month onwards . Just to protect baby in case their mother's blood gets mixed with baby's blood.

Please let me know if you need more details, I think the information which I gave is good enough with out any " medical crap" (as some of my patients say, ehehhe)

Follow-up: Pregnant and had isoimune thrombocytopenia when born. Will it pass to her baby and risks pregnancy? 12 hours later
Thank you for your simple answer. I found Neonatal Alloimmune Thrombocytopenia NAIT online so much info and Medical Crap.

She will be at the Doctors on Monday, this will help.

Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Let me know if you need me to simply anything

Detailed Answer:

I am glad you found it useful. Moreover you need to be bit relax so that you can guide your daughter and decrease her apprehension. Well no one can substitute mother's role, no mater how old their children gets (even they are about to get mother themselves).

Their is a saying,"god can't reach every where, so he created mother". I just used the saying because, I wanted you to soothe her and give her psychological relief to your daughter since she is pregnant.

Thanks again.