Pregnant. What is the likelihood that the child will be developmentally delayed/have mental retardation as a result of heavy binge drinking?

Pediatrician
Question
I am 26 weeks pregnant. What is the likelihood that my child will be developmentally delayed/have mental retardation as a result of heavy binge drinking that I did before I knew I was pregnant? When I was 28 days from my last period (about 14 or 15 days from when my doctor guesses I conceived), I drank 12 alcoholic beverages over the course of 6 to 7 hours. The next day, I had 3 alcoholic drinks over 4 hours, and the next day, I had 4 alcoholic drinks over 5 hours. I stopped drinking all alcohol after that, when I learned I was pregnant.
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 33 minutes later
Hi XXXXX

Thanks for your query,

I can understand your concerns,

There are 10 to 12 percent chances of a child to develop fetal alcohol syndrome that is being mentally and developmentally retarded.

Yes, the good thing and its early precaution is just to stop the alcohol at once so that the fetus can be safe from it bad effects.

The minimum threshold of alcohol consumption and fetal developmental abnormalities is not yet confirmed.

Hope I answered you , If you have any further query I would be glad to reply.

Wishing you good pregnancy and baby.

Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Pregnant. What is the likelihood that the child will be developmentally delayed/have mental retardation as a result of heavy binge drinking? 1 hour later
Thank you for your response. What is your opinion that there is a 10 to 12 percent chance that a child will develop fetal alcohol syndrome based on? Is that the likelihood for my child specifically, given my history of drinking before I knew I was pregnant, or is that an overall risk for anyone who drinks during pregnancy?

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 5 hours later
Thanks for writing me back,

The risk I mentioned is an overall risk for women who used to drink throughout the pregnancy.

The earlier you stop drinking the more brighter the chance of having a normal baby.
A good thing in your case specifically is that you have quit alcohol.

I would like to listen from you of having a cute normal baby on this forum.

If you do not have any further query, You can rate my query reply.