Pregnant. Ultrasound showed curvature of femur. Should I continue pregnancy or go for abortion?

Hi, i dont know if i will get answer or not but i really do because we are passing the worst time in our lives. My wife 29 years with one gorgeous girl 3 years. She is pregnant and at 18 weeks with 4d U/S something suspicious pop up. Femur bones. We moved to our country to make amnio test. The result was negatif everything normal except legs. Both femur are behind 3 weeks but the right one is much more curving. He said both are not moving but after double check only the right one is not moving while the other is active. Everything else is just fine. Could this curve be fixed after birth. Shoukd we think of abortion "now my wife is in 23 weeks" she is feeling him very active and kicking lot which make us so sad....we cant do abortion but what should we expect and what can we do after birth pleaseeeee help. We are so depressed.
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 31 minutes later
Thank you for your query.
I can understand your concern.
Do not panic.I do not think there is any reason to panic.
There is only one question.
What did your gynaecologist say about this situation? Is it on routine scan?
I think you should go for another ultrasound.
Movement might not be appreciated at one setting.
Curvature of femur intranatally hasn't much significance.
Bony dislocations and curvatures can be corrected easily after birth by specialists.
As the amniocentesis is normal there is little chance of genetic syndromes.
Please cheer up and consult your gynaecologist.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing your child a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Ultrasound showed curvature of femur. Should I continue pregnancy or go for abortion? 19 hours later
Thank you first for your reply. Well many US and still the right leg is not moving while left is moving freely. However, what about the late. The left is behind 3weeks and the very curved one "right" cant measured anymore and its much behind pregnancy date. One of doctors preferred the abortion as the baby will have with 99% a lifetime problem in his legs. . My wife is 23weeks. Do we still have the abortion option....
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 1 hour later

I understand your concern.
Does your country allow abortion after 20 weeks? Abortion after 20 weeks is risky for the mother.
If your doctors (at least 3) advice you to abort the baby, then go for it.
Kindly consult a paediatric orthopaedic about your baby to get a better idea.

I hope your baby has a good outcome.
Thank you
Follow-up: Pregnant. Ultrasound showed curvature of femur. Should I continue pregnancy or go for abortion? 1 hour later
Why doctor its risky? The doctor said can be done and maybe by surgery. However one over 3 said to abort.. second didnt give clear answer and third no :)
Im sorry if annoying you but you said his bone can be fixed then why should we abort it. My country is lebanon and doctor insures that abortion can be done but quickly even without wife life is the most important here !!!
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 8 hours later

The risk to the mother's life increases if the abortion is done after 20 weeks.

If the bone can be fixed do not abort, I stand by my statement but it has to be ratified by an orthopedic surgeon preferably a pediatric orthopedic surgeon.

As the life your wife is important; take opinion of multiple well known gynecologists.

I hope your problem is solved soon.