Pregnant. Ultrasound showed anterior subserous myoma. What is its impact?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I got married couple of months back and i am 25 years old. I took a pregnancy test at hospital which is positive and i took a ultrasound report which says i have an anterior subserous myoma of size 3.6 x 3.1 cm seen.
What is anterior subserous myoma and what are the effects of this myoma ?
Will this cause any problem to me and my baby during delivery ?
Will i have a normal delivery ?
Can we treat this just with pills or does this require a surgery ? My husband is really worried!
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 28 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Myomas are most common benign tumors in females usually found in reproductive age and it is made of muscle uterine tissue. This is commonly found with ultrasound as accidental finding. Myomas and uterine fibroids are found in 15-20 women in reproductive age. In simple terms the scan has found bumps similar to the ones seen on skin in your uterus.
The bumps can be placed in inner wall of uterus (submucosal myomas), middle (intramural) or outside the uterus(subserous).

Most benign myomas are subserous myomas, because the other two can grow inside the uterus and cause excessive uterine bleeding, pelvic pain, misscarriage, fertility problem and other gynaecological symptoms. As subserous myoma don't grow inside uterus, it has the least effect on fertility or the baby. Sometimes it can press surrounding tissue (ovaries,rectum or bladder) but only if sized >10cm.

Anecdotal reports reveal many women have gone on to delivery normally without any troubles with subserous myomas. Therefore you need not be worried.

3.6 cm is actually minor size and all you need to do is ultrasounds follow up even after birth (once a year) to follow its size progression. If there is size progression more than 2cm a year it should be surgically removed and it can be easily done laparoscopically.

So, all in all, this is nothing to be concerned about especially if you don't have symptoms i mentioned above and as I see other US findings are absolutely normal.

Enjoy your pregnancy. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Ultrasound showed anterior subserous myoma. What is its impact? 30 minutes later
Thank you so much doctor for your quick response.
I still have one more question!

Can i reduce the myoma size by taking any kind of pills during early stage?
(Just to make sure it does not grow more)
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 27 minutes later
You are welcome.

Yes, there is hormonal therapy and certain intrauterine hormonal devices which can cause myoma size reduction(it is proven that myomas are developing due to hormonal levels). But I dont think you need this at this point since subserous or intramural fibroids of this size are not clinically significant.
Especially you shouldnt treat it in pregnancy so consult your gynaecologist about this after the postpartum period if treatment will be necessary.

Myomas usually grow very slowly, or not at all and it is better solution to wait and follow its size by ultrasounds in next few years. Nothing can happen in short time.