Pregnant. Took Ovunal injections and had QUAD screen. What are the findings?

May 2013
Hello Doc,

My wife is 16 weeks pregnant. She took QUAD screen at 15 weeks. Below are the results.

Hello DOc,

Here are the test results from Lab.
AFP Value 31.8 ng/mL
AFP MoM 1.00
hcg Value 0000 mIU/mL
hcg MoM 2.21
uE3 Value 0.72 ng/mL
uE3 MOM 0.99
DIA Value 714.00
DIA MoM 3.63
OSBR Risk 1 IN 0000
DSR (Second Trimester) 1 IN 62
DSR (By Age) 1 IN 673
T18 Risk Not Increased
T18 (By Age) 1:2623

I see HCG and DIA are off the track. can you please explain me
1) what causes high HCG and Inhibin A
I read online that High HCG and Inhibin A are indicators of pre-eclampsia and IUGR. Can you explain me what are these? and what would be the complications down the line.

My wife took Ovunal SC 5000 injections from week 4 to 12. Is there any impact of those injections?

For my wife AFP and uE3 looks normal. can we consider that these are not indicating Down syndrome?
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

High levels of HCG can be seen in conditions like:
-Wrong dates means if the gestational age is over estimated.
-Down syndrome
-Multiple pregnancies
-Hydrops fetalis
-Triploidy etc.
High levels of inhibin A can be seen in Down syndrome.

But here it has to remembered that QUAD test is only a screening test and not confirmatory to any defects.

And also some studies showing the normal levels of beta HCG at 16 weeks as around 18,300 to 1,37,000.
Reference: WWW.WWWW.WW But the normal range depends on laboratory values where the test was performed.

According to some studies high HCG and inhibin A values can be seen in pre-eclampsia and IUGR.
Both HCG and inhibin are produced in placenta. And pre-eclampsia and IUGR occurs due to placental malfunction. So these can be inter-related.
Pre-eclampsia presents with raised blood pressure, increased excretions of urinary proteins, pedal edema etc. This can occur when the placental blood vessels get affected.
IUGR is intrauterine growth retardation. This can be seen when the nutrients from the placenta and not sufficiently supplied to the baby.
Here also all cases of high HCG and inhibin may not have these complications.

The beta HCG injections at 12 weeks may not have impact on present HCG levels because the half of beta HCG is 4 to 5 days only.

Low levels of AFP and uE3 indicates the risk of down syndrome. So normal levels may indicate low possibility but may not completely exclude the risk.

So further investigations like amniocentesis, TIFFA scan at around 20 to 22 weeks are need to confirm any possible anomaly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.