Pregnant. Taking 20 mg of pravastatin. What are the chances that I have harmed the baby?

Question
I just found out I am pregnant. I am about 4 weeks along. I have been taking 20 mg of Pravastatin. What are the chances that I have harmed the baby during its first weeks of life
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later
Pravastatin is pregnancy category X drug- means it can harm the fetus on exposure for long term. At four weeks of pregnancy, the implantation occurs at three weeks after which the fetus is exposed to the maternal blood circulation.
At such an early stage it is unlikely to cause any harm to the baby. Please do not worry and continue with your pregnancy. You can consult your physician for other suitable alternatives for pravastatin.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Taking 20 mg of pravastatin. What are the chances that I have harmed the baby? 2 days later
Thank you. Your answer has calmed my nerves a bit. I think I will be able to enjoy the rest of my pregnancy. I called my doctor, and he wants to do a sonogram at 6 weeks just to make sure.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Sonogram at 6 weeks will help in ruling out any ectopic pregnancy and will detect the fetal cardiac activity.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.