Pregnant. Suffering with a sore flaky scalp, have bleeding gums, pain in shoulder and numb hand. Worrisome

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
For weeks I have been suffering with a sore flaky scalp. After reading an arrival about temporal arteritis I have a lot if the symptoms, bleeding gums, jaw problems, migraines (both these have been there years) back and shoulder pain and numbness in hands when laid in same position too long. I'm really scared, I'm 37 female and pregnant. Please help.
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 14 hours later
Thank you for posting this question.
Firstly, temporal arteritis is an inflammatory condition. Here inflammation occurs in the wall of the temporal artery. It is a chronic inflammation leads to formation of giant cells. For this reason, it is also called giant cell arteritis.
The symptoms you described are quite similar with that of temporal arteritis. But the two most important findings are - a thick palpable cord like structure in the temporal region of head and low pulse all over the body.

Now, diagnosis of this condition is done depending upon the following points
1. Demonstration of palpable thick cord like structure in temporal region.
2. Complete blood count indicates increased platelet.
3. Elevated ESR.
4. Elevated C reactive protein and other acute phase protein.
5. Elevated level of alkaline phosphatase level.
6. Imaging studies like Ultrasound scan of the palpable thick cord like structure.
7. Biopsy is the gold standard of diagnosis.

Treatment is only prednisolone group of corticosteroids.

Consult with neurologist and gynaecologist for ordering the investigations and treatment.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Suffering with a sore flaky scalp, have bleeding gums, pain in shoulder and numb hand. Worrisome 9 hours later
Thank you, I can feel the vein at my temple but I wouldn't say it's thick, just raised? Is temporal arteritis common in females aged 37? Can it come and go as I had the scalp problems in February for a while and then they went for a couple of months.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 19 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.
In this disease the characteristic feature is thick and cord like artery. If you cannot feel it like that then there is less chance of being it a temporal arteritis.
Yes, temporal arteritis is more common in females. But age is not a criteria.
No, it does not come and go. If this occurred, then it is not a giant cell arteritis. Rather it indicates presence of scalp problems.
Still, just consult with a neurologist for clinical examination and confirmation.

If you have no more question then close this discussion.
Rating and review given by you will be appreciated.

Regards.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Suffering with a sore flaky scalp, have bleeding gums, pain in shoulder and numb hand. Worrisome 40 minutes later
I read though that it is rare in people under 50?

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 14 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.
Firstly, the disease itself is very rare. So, there is no big study conducted on this disease.
As it is autoimmune disease, it can occur at any age. But most common in elderly person. But particular age is not a diagnostic criteria.
Regards.