Pregnant. Started vomiting. Is this normal?

General Surgeon
Hi I'm pregnant and threw up this morning. My vomit was liquid and something like a neon urine color. It was extremely bitter tasting too. What do you think this means?
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Vomiting is something normal during pregnancy and should not worry you as long as there is no blood in it.
As during vomiting, the content from duodenum or even small intestine can get back to the stomach, anything you have been eating or drinking can be an ingredient of sick. Urine color is most likely bile mixed with water. Bitter taste is very characteristic for bile.

Hope this will help.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Started vomiting. Is this normal? 13 minutes later
Now that you are mentioning blood, I remember that when I was rinsing my mouth afterwards, there was some blood mixed with my saliva. Not much - it was about as much blood as I sometimes see after flossing.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Small amount of blood can be present in the mouth as vomiting irritates throat and esophagus so small vessels can get ruptured and start to bleed. But this is also very common.
Talking about blood in sick I mean dark (digested) blood which comes from the stomach in a large amount (like almost whole sick is filled with it).
Otherwise you still have nothing to worry about.