Pregnant. Sonography evidence of single loop of chord around the neck. Had two normal delivers. Help?

Mar 2016

Good morning. My wife is pregnant and is in her 9+ month. She is 31 years old. Would request you to look in the sonography reports and advise on the condition of her pregnancy. This is her third pregnancy and the first two were normal deliveries. Please advise on the sonography remark (dt. 20-Jun-2013)- 'Evidence of single loop of chord around the neck'. Also please advise if any precautions to be taken to ensure safe delivery.
Regards, XXXXX.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Hello XXXXX,

Thanks for writing on Healthcare Magic.

I have reviewed attached ultrasound scan report. In my point of view, it is quite normal with all parameters and fetal maturity corresponds to current gestational age.

Single loop of cord around the neck of the baby is seen in some percentage pregnancy during 2nd/ 3rd trimester. It usually does not cause any problem or complication during delivery of the baby. Though, special measures are needed to be taken by healthcare attendant/ staff to avoid asphyxia or respiratory distress of the baby during delivery. Your consulting obstetrician can guide her regarding this and she needs weekly checkup for overall assessment of fetal well being.

Precautions need to be taken as follows:

1) Take healthy protein XXXXXXX diet with prescribed medication only
2) Avoid heavy work/ long journey. Daily walking for 15-30 minutes.
3) Take adequate bed rest in left lateral position (8-10 hrs daily).
4) Daily Fetal Movement Count (DFMC)- it should be 10 in less than 2 hrs time.

Please contact with healthcare provider/ hospital for emergency purpose in certain situation like constant lower abdominal pain, vaginal bleeding, more watery discharge etc.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish her good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen