Pregnant. Scan showing transonic ring in the uterus. No peri sac bleeding and no fetal pole. Should I be concerned?

Question
I went for my first scan today @ 9 wks.The scan showed a transonic ring within the uterus. But there was no evidence of peri sac bleeding. A fetal pole was not visualized. Yolk sac is not seen as well. No uterine / adexal masses seen. Neither free fluid in the Pouch of XXXXXXX noted. I previously tested positive for pregnancy and have all signs. What does this result really mean? What are the chances of this developing into a normal pregnancy or baby? What about my own healthy? The Radiographer scheduled a re scan in 3wks...any other steps I Should take in the mean time? I'm worried. I'm 23 and healthy. This is my first pregnancy...having been on the pill for six months! Please help.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 8 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

If gestational sac is visible and there is no cardiac activity at 9 weeks then it is most likely a missed abortion or mistaken dates.

See whether the ring or sac is regular or irregular.
Irregular sac usually indicates blighted ovum.

As you have taken pills for the past 6 months , it can be a mistaken date also.
Pills should be stopped three months before planing the conception.

It is not necessary to have bleeding inside or outside . In case of blighted ovum there can be no bleeding at all.

Do not be anxious till you get it repeated after 2 or 3 weeks.

Investigate for TORCH , Anticardiolipin antibody , Rh factor , blood sugar fasting , thyroid function tests etc which are needed in first trimester of pregnancy.

Meanwhile you take bed rest , folic acid , progesterone under your doctor's guidance and prescription.
Inj HCG (Human chorionic gonadotropin) can be given weekly for two weeks under your doctor's guidance and prescription.

I hope I have answered your query , any further query is most welcome

If you do not have any queries then accept my answer.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Pregnant. Scan showing transonic ring in the uterus. No peri sac bleeding and no fetal pole. Should I be concerned? 1 hour later
Thank you. I don't think it's mistaken dates. What is blighted ovum? What are the other possible causes of this? In case of a missed abortion, why is my body still still carrying on as if I'm pregnant,even showing signs of a developing one? When and how will this then end? Knowing this shouus put me at easy for the three wks.

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Blighted ovum means the ovum which stops growing. There can be several causes for this.

General factors like Hypothyroidism or infections like toxoplsma, rubella, herpes, cytomegalovirus etc.

It can be due to antiphospholipid antibodies or anticardiolipin antibodies in which ovum does not grow.

You please do not worry as these may not be the cause for your pregnancy and ovum. May be the cardiac activity can be seen after few days. Maintain your calm and take folic acid till then.

You can get your beta hCG (Human Chorionic gonadotropin) tests in the blood, if the values are increasing that means the pregnancy is normal. Ultrasound will confirm it.

Any further query is most welcome. Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Wish you Good Health.