Pregnant. Scan showed fluid Index - 7.09cm. Should I go for c-section or wait for normal delivery?

May 2013
My wife is pregnant. 38 weeks completed and shez in the mid of 39th week. EDD as per the lastest scan is 23d November. The following is the scan report.

BPD - 9.18cm
HC - 32.86cm
FL - 7.41cm
AC - 32.84cm
Estimated fetal weight : 3135 gms
Amniotic Fluid Index - 7.09cm
The fetal bio physical profile score is 8/8.

Now, my question is about the Fluid Index - 7.09cm.
Could you please let me know if it is very less? Should we wait for the normal pain/delivery or is it a good idea to go for C-section. Baby movement is normal. Kindly suggest.
We are planning to meeting doctor tomorrow. However, just wanted to take your opinion as well.

Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 27 minutes later

Normal amniotic fluid index(AFI ) is 11 to 15.
Less amniotic fluid is 6 to 10.
Oligohydromnios is AFI less than 5.
So your wife's amniotic fluid is some what less.
As at present biophysical profile, fetal movements are normal, if your wife is not having any other complications she can wait for one more week.
Meanwhile she has to take plenty of water, amino acid supplements etc which will increase the amniotic fluid level.
She has to go for biophysical profile once again in this waiting period, has to count fetal movements regularly.
But if she is having any medical complications like hypertension, thyroid disorders, gestational diabetes etc. better to go for induction.
So when you XXXXXXX your doctor tomorrow, she will examine your wife physically and will see the ultrasound findings. According to these she can advice you further management.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.