Pregnant. Prescribed Ecosprin. Safe to take?

Hi Doctor,

My wife is in 26th Week of pregnancy. She has been prescribed a new medicine Ecosprin (75 MG). Request you to enlighten us for the prescription of this new medicine.
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 19 hours later

Ecosprin 75 mg is anti-platelet medicine used to prevent venous thromboembolism (VTA). It simply means that ecosprin prevents the blood from clotting.

In pregnancy, chances of blood clot are high. This is the reason for prescribing the medicine to your wife.

A recent study says the use of ecosprin in pregnancy decreases the chances of VTA and placenta-mediated pregnancy complications (PC) by about 15%.

If this is not easy for you to understand, I shall write again in simple sentences. Let me know.