Pregnant. I was dehydrated and got iv fluids. Will it cause any harm to baby?

Can anything in iv fliuids hurt my baby i was dehydrated and had iv fluids i never asked what was in the fluids
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 15 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Now, I am assuming that you got IVF's related to pregnancy. I will also assume that the most likely explanation is nausea and vomiting. The IVF's used for this purpose are NOT harmful to your baby.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, please ask! Please also take a moment to give me feedback!
Follow-up: Pregnant. I was dehydrated and got iv fluids. Will it cause any harm to baby? 37 minutes later
yes im pregnant. I was verry worried about what was in the fluids. I didnt ask. I had no medication just fluids. are there lots of different types of iv fluids?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 6 minutes later
Yes there are several different types of IVF's. But the fluids that are most often used have very little in them. They often have basic electrolytes in them such as sodium, chloride, potassium, and calcium. These are in the fluid in a concentration that makes the fluid very similar to the fluid that is in your blood stream already (besides the red and white blood cells).

It is very safe!! There is nothing to worry about with regard to the pregnancy in terms of the use of any of the variety used.

I hope this helps to alleviate your worries. Please remember to leave feedback!