Pregnant. Having sharp pain in belly button. Safe remedy?

Mar 2013
I am 30 weeks pregnant and have been getting sharp pains in the belly button area that spider web out, i am not moving when i get these pains, sometimes i am sleeping. My stomache becomes very tender during this pain too.
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 21 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

In the third trimester of pregnancy, you are now entering the home stretch , so congratulations !
However, this is a time of increased discomfort as your body prepares for the penultimate delivery of the baby.
There could be various causes of your pains.

Firstly, in preparation for labour, all the joints, ligaments and muscles of the body relax under the effect of pregnancy hormones, but this effect is most marked in the abdominal muscles and pelvic area. Pain due to the laxity of the abdominal muscles and pelvic bones can cause discomfort in the area that you describe.
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX contractions are uterine hardening ( contractions ) but not very painful. You might feel mild to moderate discomfort depending on the pain threshold. What you describe sounds like XXXXXXX XXXXXXX to me, because you get them even while sleeping. These are in preparation for labour pains, and there is nothing to worry about here.

Rarely, when the baby's movements increase, particularly now when the baby is gaining weight and muscle tone, subtle changes in the baby's posture can cause reflex hardening of the uterus for a while and resultant pain.

Stomach upsets are very common in this trimester. Frequent gas, flatulence, indigestion, gastritis and distension could be responsible for this pain.

You should consult your obstetrician if the pain and discomfort is severe and unbearable, because preterm labour pains need to be ruled out. These are quite painful, accompanied by intermittent contraction and relaxation of the uterus, and freqently radiate to the lower back and groin, and could be accompanied by vaginal discharge or spotting.

Sleep at night in a position most comfortable to you . Prop yourself up. Be prepared because no pregnant lady at 30 weeks enjoys a full night's rest. Avoid a full bladder and void urine frequently, as that too can cause such pain. Eat small frequent meals, have more of fluids, do not eat late at night, have a gap of atleast 3 - 4 hours between your last meal and lying down, avoid exertion and frequent sexual intercourse.

Make sure you are getting enough calcium and vitamin D supplements.
Take care, and enjoy your pregnancy !
Feel free to ask me further questions.