Pregnant. Having lower back pain and upper abdominal pain. Feeling nausea. Remedy?

Question
I AM 23 WEEKS PREGNANT. FOR THE PAST 14 HOURS I HAVE HAD LOWER BACK PAIN, UPPER ABDOMINAL PAIN THAT SOMETIMES SHOOTS TO MY LOWER ABDOMEN WITH TIGHTNESS AND NAUSEA FEELING.
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 26 minutes later
Hi XXXXX

Lower backache is very common problem in pregnancy. It may be due to physiological changes in pregnancy or due to faulty posture/high heel shoes/urinary infection/constipation/excessive weight gain.Rest with elevated legs,rest in a hard bed,massaging back muscles and mild analgesics can relieve this pain. If you have constipation, increase your dietary fiber and hot milk to relieve that and in case you have burning/painful micturition,get a urine examination done.

Upper abdominal pain and nausea is probably due to acidity. You should avoid tea/coffee/spicy food and take liquid antacids.

Mild tightness in lower abdomen is due to Braxton-Hicks contractions which come and go themselves throughout pregnancy and increase as pregnancy progress.They don't need any intervention. If these become very frequent and regular and associated with too much pain,then you need medical help immediately.

Good luck.

Hope this information is helpful and informative to you.
If you have further queries you can directly reach out to me on the following URL:
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Pregnant. Having lower back pain and upper abdominal pain. Feeling nausea. Remedy? 3 minutes later
Some of the pains are sharp and happen 3 times an hour. I have avoided tea/spicy or any type of food such as that (that is why I don't think it's acid based and it's an intense nausea not just a small amount). I also have not felt the baby move much at all. Maybe once in the past 14 hours.

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 53 minutes later

As I cannot examine you here, I cannot say it with surity whether you are having Braxton-Hicks or preterm labor pains.Baby movements count cannot be relied upon at this gestation. It will be better to get examined yourself by a qualified healthcare professional or an ultrasonography for cervical length and dilatation along with fetal well-being will clear the picture.

Its really good that you are already avoiding acid causing foods.But in pregnancy, due to laxity of tissues, acidity can occur. Antacids will help you in relieving that.

WWW.WWWW.WW