Pregnant. Have BV. Will it cause harm to baby? Miscarriage?

Mar 2016

I have BV and am 13 weeks pregnant if I wait to treat it will it hurt the baby/cause a miscarriage?
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 45 minutes later

Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) is a most common vaginal infection and may be seen during pregnancy in some percentage women (about 23%).

Some studies shows that BV is linked up with 2nd trimester (13th-26th weeks) miscarriage, increased risk of preterm delivery and low birth weight baby (LBW), premature rupture of membrane (PROM), ascending uterine infection and its complication etc.

In this scenario, you need to consult with obstetrician at the earliest without wasting much time to avoid possible miscarriage. You may need to take safe antibiotic medication (like metronidazole etc) to cure completely. Please take a prescription from your treating doctor.

Maintain genital hygiene properly. Avoid vaginal douching and sexual intercourse. Do periodic check up to your doctor by ultrasound scan and other investigations for overall assessment of fetal well being.

Hope, this information is quite helpful for you. If you have any other query, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen