Pregnant. Dehydrated. Picc line inserted. Experiencing chest and shoulder discomfort. Normal?

My daughter, age 21, just got a picc line inserted into her left arm today because she is dehydrated and the doctors have tried to give her iv's but her veins have collapsed. she is dehydrated and the picc line was the best option to get her fluids. she has also stated that she is a bit anxious. She is experiencing chest/shoulder discomfort. Is this normal? She said it is not painful, just discomfort. What can she do to help with the discomfort? She is pregnant and has Hyperemesis.
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 56 minutes later
The mild discomfort in the chest and the shoulder could be related to a muscular pain caused by the electrolyte imbalance accompanying the dehydration.
Hyperemesis is commonly seen in pregnancy and fluid and electrolyte replacement is the main treatment.
The mild discomfort is likely to improve as the lost fluids are replaced. She can take semisolid easy to digest food with no milk to start with. Taking electrolyte XXXXXXX fresh fruit juices will also help.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.