Pregnant. Can travel by flight using compression socks?

May 2013
Hello Dr Soumen Patra,
My wife is 18 weeks pregnant this week & planning to travel to India for 2 week to attend a wedding during last week of May (traveling to india in 18th week & back to US on 21st week) -->

flight1 --> 16hrs & flight2 --> 4hrs duration
1) I am advising her to walk every Hour and half (90 Minutes) for 5 to 10 minutes -- is this sufficient or more than 10 mins is required ?
2) Her first flight is 16 hours, She is starting at 7 PM after 4 hrs it will be 11 PM our time is mainly her sleep time does she needs to make a point & get up every 90 minutes or can she sleep for 5 to 6 hours & get up again?
3) if you advise to get up every hour she will keep an alarm during her sleep time & get up every 90 mins
4) she is planning to use compression socks during the flight for some time
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 42 minutes later

1. Walking for 10 min. is sufficient.
2 & 3. No need to get up. She can sleep as per her regular schedule for 5 to 6 hours.
4. She can use the compression socks for around 6 hours. She can use them during sleeping as usually she has to sleep in sitting position during journey.

If she is taking progesterone supplementation, she can continue that.
If not better to take either progesterone depo injection around 2 days before the journey or can start micronized progesterone tablets 2 to 3 days before journey and can continue up to 22 weeks.
This will help in relaxing the uterus and in preventing premature uterine action.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.