Pregnant. Blood work showed positive for antibody. Caused by H1N1 flu vaccine? Go for an HIV test?

I am pregnant and had routine blood tests. Only one was abnormal the antibody screen which was positive.

The test did not show which antibody I tested for and so my doctor ordered more blood work. It will take 2 weeks to get the results.

What I would like to know is 2 weeks before the blood was taken I had the H1N1 flu vaccine. Is this a posible clause for a postive antibody screen? If not what causes a positive test. I elected not to have an HIV test but wondering if I should do so now.

Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Antibody screen test is done in the first trimester of pregnancy to detect any antibodies against the blood components of the fetus. It is basically done to prevent the feto maternal blood incompatibility. Getting a positive result does not indicate any infection.
It is not necessarily seen in Rh negative mothers only. Positive test may happen in any woman who has had a blood transfusion or had prior pregnancies. She may produce an antibody to blood factors other than Rh that can potentially harm an unborn baby.
An H1N1 flu vaccine is not likely to affect the results.
There are many different antibodies you could have. Some are perfectly harmless and some are more serious. Anti D is the most common (but only in Rh negative patients) but there's also Anti c, Anti E, Anti M, Anti Duffy, Anti K, etc. Many of these antibodies are absolutely harmless. Lots of women who have antibodies go on to have troublesome free pregnancies.
Please do not worry. Let all the results come and see which antibodies are positive.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.