Pregnant. All reports normal. Have cold and pimples. What medicine can be taken?

Mar 2016

Dear Doctor,

please help in clarifying below queries :

My wife is pregnant and now in 10th week of pregnancy as of now no issues and recent reports state heartbeat and all are normal (of foetus).

1. Last 24 hours she is suffering from Cold. As per her mother's advise she is controlling the sneezing assuming if any problem to baby. Also taking Mild warm water. Please tell me if this is correct and suggest any remedies as she cant undergo medications.

2. Aside to this she is suffering from pimples for last 1 to 2 months. can she use any creams or lotions to get rid of the same ?

3. Can she eat or drink any food / milk / drinks Hot ??

Kindly advise for above queries and help.

Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 21 hours later

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comment regarding your query.

1) Mother's common cold usually does not impact/ give adverse health effect to growing baby. Some home remedies can be helpful to get symptomatic relief. On this, she can take mild warm water with some other measures whether she does not prefer medications.

It is basically occurred with seasonal change or in contact with allergen or dust particles. She may need some treatment if it is gradually increased over the time with productive cough, breathlessness, fever etc. In such case, you can consult with your treating doctor for safe prescribed medications.

Some basic home remedies can improve her condition:

a) Drinking plenty of water/ fruit juice to stay hydrated and keep throat moist.
b) Inhaling steam or use saline nasal spray to ease nasal congestion and drippy nose.
c) Staying away from dust, pollens, powders, droplets, smoke, allergen substances etc.
d) Taking one teaspoon honey & tulsi juice in the morning or hot drink like milk at bed time is quite helpful.
e) Taking hot shower bath, sleep with an extra pillow under head and vitamin-C supplements are very much essential.

2) Pimples may occur during pregnancy in association with indigestion problem, mental stress, oily skin, constipation etc. Here, she needs to clean facial skin with cleanser regularly, keep bowel habit regular, avoid stress/ anxiety, drink more water and take sound sleep.

In addition, she can use some cream/ lotion like clindamycin/ benzoyl peroxide to get relief from pimples. Please consult with your doctor for proper prescription after clinical examination.

3) Yes, she can take slight hot drink like milk/ water and eat foods also which she wishes to take. It is quite healthy and nothing to worry.

Hope it helps for your information. If you have any other query, you can freely ask me.

Wish her good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Pregnant. All reports normal. Have cold and pimples. What medicine can be taken? 3 days later
Thanks for your detailed reply.
Please let me know if pregnant woman can eat raw / ripe mango. . . ?

Answered by Dr. S Patra 29 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Yes, pregnant women can eat ripe mango in small quantity. It is quite safe and XXXXXXX in fibers, antioxidants, vitamin E & C, minerals (like iron, calcium) etc.

Thus, it helps in 1) preventing constipation and anemia, 2) stimulating appetite and improving skin texture, 3) providing healthy vision to new born (as good source of beta-carotene), 4) maintaining immunity level and hormonal system.

Though, it is not recommended for diabetic and obese mother due to high calorie consumption.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

Be well and stay healthy. Good luck.

Dr Soumen