Pre-diabetic. Is it safe to take omega 3 salmon capsule along with revital?

Cardiologist, Interventional
I am 35 years old
underwent angioplasty in XXXXXXX 2012 rca and lcx were blocked , no instances post plasty ,my dad also had to undergo the same at 55 yrs years of age, currently on ramipril 2.5 mg, met stamlo 50 mg ,clopitab 75 mg and atrovastatin 10 mg. was a smoker but now gave that up (i miss it though :) )
im borderline diabetic 113 sugar level don't take any pills for that , non hypertensive (140/80)

post my discharge from hospital i decided to under take lifestyle changes esp in area of food

gave up red meat and butter

My question is 3 fold
1st- is it safe more me to take /consume - omega 3 salmon capsule ( by amway) once a day , im told and i also read it some where that omega 3 boosts the efficacy of statin drugs and hampers the absorption of drugs like metformin and p.s- i dont take any tabs for sugar as im non diabetic
or should i rely on flax seed powder and allow my body to convert ALA ( fatty acid Alpha-Linolenic Acid) to EPA eicosapentaenoic acid & DHA docosahexaenoic acid

2nd- i used to take revital prior to my plasty can i continue that if not what mlty vitamin would u suggest

3rd- I have decided to give up on white sugar I wanted to rely on honey but honey these days which are commercially manufactured hv antibiotics in them so i am intending to rely on sugar free natura( a sucralose artificial sweetener) for my coffee and XXXXXXX tea and also for baking needs would that be a prudent choice
p.s- i cant stay from sweet things as i have sweet tooth.

4-My job demands attending a lot of meetings and seminars followed get together to stick to drinking Red wine only & strictly say 90 ml every alternate day/to be precise 3 times a week ,is that ok ?

Kindly elucidate on above doubts

Thank you for the guidance.

Sincerely XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 30 minutes later
Thanks XXXXXXX for your detailed query. Let me get back to you point by point to be precise.

1. It is safe to take omega three fatty acids. But fish oil derived omega three acids have not proven efficacy. There is prescription product called OMACor which is efficacious. But an expensive product.

2. You can continue to take revital.

3. Giving up white sugar is a good idea. But in overall when you use artificial sweeteners it has to be limited! When used in large quantity or long-term, they are not very safe.

4. About alcohol, the dose seems to be little excess. It is advisable to limit to two drinks and about two times week.

If you need further details please write to me.

Follow-up: Pre-diabetic. Is it safe to take omega 3 salmon capsule along with revital? 1 hour later
*) I appreciate ur directional suggestion about the red wine consumption and il follow it as you have advised 2 drinks- 90 ml each 2 times a week only .or say just 90 ml once a week .

are all red wines same or are there any special red wines i might have to look out for ?

*) I would be starting on revital again
*) I try my best to stay away from desserts and yummy pasterys but i wish i didnt hv a sweet tooth but yes im trying 2 work on that bit by possible replace of sweets with fruits like banana ,grape juice and orange.
mainly i intend to use sugarfree for my XXXXXXX tea 2 times a day say XXXXXXX 2*2 pills of sucralose in a cup of XXXXXXX tea so il be cautious with excessive usage of sucralose as per ur advise.

lets focus on OMAC

question 1- is the omac u spoke of is OMACOR

just to be sure we r on the same page

if i take this then it would be one capsule a day right ? and if so then for how many months ?

p.s- i have 2 bottles of salmon omega 3 given to me by a friend would it harm me if i take a capsule a day n finish it off
before buying omacor ?

question 2- these days we get 0 cholesterol and 0 trans fat edible butter like nutralite and peanut butter
r they safe to eat in moderation ?
coz i hv given up on butter and ghee and eggs so i switched to nutralite and peanut butter for my toast.

Thank You !
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 19 hours later

Thanks for posting the follow up query. I shall address your individual queries.

1. Red wine is red wine; apart from taste most of them don't have any major difference. So the type and brand don't matter much.

2. Yes, it's the same (OMACor). You can continue as long your physician and cardiologist suggest.

3. As far as omega-3 is concerned, yes you can finish of the stocks of omega-3. No harm or worry.

4. The zero cholesterol and trans fat products - they are good substitutes and you can take them.

I hope I was able to help you. Let me know if there are other queries.
If all your queries are addressed, please close this discussion.