Pre-diabetic. Have alopecia areata and purple spots on tongue. What treatment is required?

About 2 years ago I discovered that I am pre-diabetic and have reduced the intake of simple carbs in my diet since diagnosis and I also play tennis twice a week now. I also discovered that I have alopecia areata around the same time as my impaired glucose tolerance.
My problem: About a week ago though, I have recently discovered that I have purple spots on the right and left of my tongue.

I'm 33 now and I would like to know how to boost my immunity and clear the spots on my tongue.
Posted Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 6 hours later

Are you referring to purple blisters? or just spots?

If they are spots are just under a week you probably are referring to migratory glossitis. This is a very benign condition and just does not require treatment. As the names says the purple spots keep moving and looks like a map.

If this is a bump and stays over a week, ulcer etc it is better to be checked by oral surgeon. Typically discoloration on the tongue is due to the villi on it. It is because if a person smokes or chews tobacco, eats certain foods, or has colored bacteria growing on the tongue.

I do not wish to link it to IGT as of now. However if the blood glucose in not under control there is a high chance of growing bacteria on the tongue and giving it colors. Please check your Fasting blood sugar and HbA1C levels.

Let me know if I can address your queries further. I am here.

Follow-up: Pre-diabetic. Have alopecia areata and purple spots on tongue. What treatment is required? 16 minutes later
Not blisters. Just discoloration with no pain. They seem to be growing slowly - I recall having one patch on the right first about 6 months ago. And then a few weeks ago, discovered the other. I discovered this abt the same time as when I had another case of candida which my doc treated me for with both oral medication and a pessary. This was just before Xmas.

I can do another fasting blood sugar test - will the spots be resolved after my sugar levels are controlled?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 7 minutes later
If the spots are due to bacterial over growth blood sugar control should take care.

Ask a dentist if he can scrap those spots and test for candida. If it is migratory glossitis it does not require treatment, it is just a personal variation. If your blood sugar is under control for the past year the chances of candida are rare. So confirm if you have oral candida in the first place before treatment. Excessive treatment will deplete normal and beneficial bacteria.

Hope you got the point I was insisting on. If you do not have any more queries you may close the discussion.

Follow-up: Pre-diabetic. Have alopecia areata and purple spots on tongue. What treatment is required? 10 minutes later
Ok tx doc. Last question. Are there any supplements are vitamins that I can take to improve my circulation and immunity levels (which have been compromised in the last 3 years as a result of my IGT)? I already exercise and avoid simple carbs and white rice and breads etc. this last qn is really abt anything else I can take that MAY boost my wellness. I know it's not medical treatment but I am curious pls to see if any vitamins etc can help. Tx
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 minutes later

No robust studies have proven that Vitamin supplements will improve the immunity in a person with IGT. I prefer you rely on the nature or god's given food i.e dark colored fruits and vegetables. Choose all the 7 colors (dark color) in your food daily and all the tastes in your diet. They have several antioxidants.

If you still insist you can pick NUTRILITE brand like CONC FRUITS AND VEGETABLES, DAILY.

Wish you Good Health.