Post nasal drip causing throat irritation. Remedy?

ENT Specialist
I have Post nasal drip irritating throat
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 36 minutes later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Post nasal drip is one of the causes of throat irritation.

This dripping occurs because of nasal or sinus infections or allergic reactions.

You need to get examined by ENT specialist and if required get done a Limited CT scan of nose and paranasal sinuses and Diagnostic nasal endoscopy .

Normally the nose drain at the back this is natural way of draining and when there is infection in nose or sinuses the infected phlegm goes at the back and irritates the throat. The infection or the allergic phlegm can be because of any anatomic abnormality or simply allergic hypersensitivity of the nasal skin that it produces more of phlegm.

The nasal endoscopy is done with 4 mm thick endoscopes which does not cause pain and can be done after a simple spray of anesthetic solution in the nose, this is a Outpatient Department Procedure takes very less time like 5 minutes and direct visualization of nose is possible but does not tell about the inside condition of sinuses for which CT scan is required.

Till then you can start with decongestant tablets after consultation and normal saline sprays.
Further treatment can be planned after above written investigations.

Preventive measures---
Prevent yourself from dust and fumes, Strong perfumes / deodorants, pollen’s,
Cigarette smoke.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.