Possible torn ACL. Is there a risk of DVT while travelling?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have possible torn acl happened two days ago and traveling to canada from new zealand is there a risk of dvt
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
A torn ACL just two days ago is not likely to cause a DVT so soon.
prolonged immobility or coagulation disorders are the predisposing factors. In case there is excessive painful swelling on your legs then a detailed examination and investigations are necessary to find out the cause.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Possible torn ACL. Is there a risk of DVT while travelling? 40 minutes later
the gp i saw said there could be a risk of XXXXXXX vein thrombosis as i am in a knee brace. It isa 13.5 hour flight i am able to get up and walk around and there is no pain. Hoping the airline will give me a better seat. Will be getting leg further examined when i return in 2.5 weeks. The gp is saying not to fly ??? we fly out in 12 hours from now i domt think it will be a problem.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 40 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Since there is no pain and you can walk around, going for a 13.5 hour flight should not be a problem if you take adequate precautions.
You can get your leg further examined after the flight to find out any abnormalities early. Delaying further treatment for 2.5 weeks is not advisable.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.